Assistant Professor of Department of Pharmaceutics and Pharmaceutical Chemistry
Molecular Imaging, Nanomedicine, Bioengineering, Biophysical Microenvironment
Our research program focusses on the use and development of molecular imaging and nanobiotechnology tools to refine the way we visualize, treat and manage cancer and other diseases. We implement multimodal molecular imaging technologies, in particular, positron emission tomography, computer tomography, and optical and optoacoustic imaging to interrogate the biophysical microenvironment of a disease before, during and after treatment. We also harness these technologies to delineate the pharmacokinetics of macromolecular and nanomaterials-based therapies in vivo at multiple spatio-temporal length scales. By using cutting-edge technologies, we intend to: 1) enable biology-guided modulation of the disease microenvironment to convert non-responders to responders, and 2), guide rational design of effective and innovative therapies; which will have outstanding impact on biological and medical sciences.
- Ferreira CA*, Goel S*, Ehlerding EB, et al. Ultrasmall Porous Silica Nanoparticles with Enhanced Pharmacokinetics for Cancer Theranostics. Nano Lett. 2021: 21(11):4692-4699
- Goel S*, Shen H, Ferrari M. Engineering multistage delivery vectors for multimodal imaging. Bio-protocol, 2021.
- Liu YT, Goel S, Kai M, et al. Seed- and Soil-Dependent Differences in Murine Breast Tumor Microenvironments Dictate Anti-PD-L1 IgG Delivery and Therapeutic Efficacy. Pharmaceutics. 2021; 13(4):530.
- Liu YT, Goel S, Kai M, et al. Heterogeneous tumor microenvironment in metastatic breast cancer for insufficient anti-PDL1 IgG delivery and its efficacy. Cancer Res.2021: (81) (4 Supplement) PS18-42.
- Goel S, Zhang G, Dogra P, et al. Sequential deconstruction of composite drug transport in metastatic breast cancer. Sci Adv. 2020:6(26)
- Siamof C, Cai W, Goel S*†. Moving beyond the pillars of cancer treatment: Perspectives from Nanotechnology, Frontiers in Chemistry, 2020; 8: 598100.
- Goel S*, Ferreira CA*, Dogra P*, et al. Size-optimized Ultrasmall Porous Silica Nanoparticles Depict Vasculature-based Differential Targeting in Triple Negative Breast Cancer. Small. 2019.
- GoelS, Ferreira CA, Chen F, et al. Activatable Hybrid Nanotheranostics for Tetramodal Imaging and Synergistic Photothermal/Photodynamic Therapy. Adv Mater. 2018:30(6).
- Yu B*, Goel S*, Ni D et al. Reassembly of 89Zr‐Labeled Cancer Cell Membranes into Multicompartment Membrane‐Derived Liposomes for PET‐Trackable Tumor‐Targeted Theranostics. Adv Mater. 2018: 30(13):e1704934.
- Goel S#, Ni D, Cai W. Harnessing the power of nanotechnology for enhanced radiation therapy. ACS Nano, 2017:11(6):5233-5237.
- Goel S, England CE, Chen F, Cai W. Positron emission tomography and nanotechnology: A dynamic duo for cancer theranostics, Adv Drug Del Rev, 2017 113:157-176.
- Koziolova E*, Goel S*, Chytil P et al. A tumor-targeted polymer theranostics platform for positron emission tomography and fluorescence imaging. Nanoscale. 2017: 9(30):10906-10918.
- Luo D*, Goel S*, Liu H-J et al. Intrabilayer 64Cu labeling of photoactivatable, doxorubicin-loaded stealth liposomes. ACS Nano, 2017:11(12):12482-12491.
- Goel S*, Chen, F*, Luan, S, Valdovinos, H, Shi, S, Graves, S, Ai, F, Barnhart, T, Theuer, C, Cai, W. Engineering of Intrinsically Zirconium-89 Radiolabeled Self-Destructing Mesoporous Silica Nanostructures for In Vivo Tumor Vasculature Targeting. Advanced Science, 2016; 3, 1600122.
- Chen F*, Goel S*, Hernandez R*, Graves S, Shi S, Nickles R, Cai W. Dynamic Positron Emission Tomography Imaging of Renal Clearable Gold Nanoparticles. Small, 2016; 12, 2775-82.