Assistant Professor of Biochemistry
B.Sc. Simon Fraser University
M.Sc. Simon Fraser University
Ph.D. University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill
Minna Roh-Johnson's Lab Page
Minna Roh-Johnson's PubMed Literature Search
Molecular Biology Program
Biological Chemistry Program
Cell Migration, Tumor Microenvironment, Cytoskeleton, Zebrafish, Mouse, Immunology, Breast Cancer, Melanoma
Cancer cells hijack mechanisms of normal development. In a complex milieu of an animal, in which there are many different signals from many different cells, how does a cell parse through this information to know when and where to migrate? Our long term research goal is to identify these signals, how they are communicated, and how they are interpreted into a downstream response to regulate cell motility during development and cancer. We use a combination of animal models (zebrafish and mouse) and cell culture based models, taking advantage of the strengths of each system to answer outstanding questions in cancer cell biology.
For more info, visit our website and follow us on twitter @roh_johnson_lab
- Gast CE, Silk AD, Zarour L, Riegler L, Burkhart JG, Gustafson KT, Parappilly MS, Roh-Johnson M, Goodman JR, Olson B, Schmidt M, Swain JR, Davies PS, Shasthri V, Iizuka S, Flynn P, Watson S, Korkola J, Courtneidge SA, Fischer JM, Jaboin J, Billingsley KG, Lopez CD, Burchard J, Gray J, Coussens LM, Sheppard BC, Wong MH. (2018). Cell fusion potentiates tumor heterogeneity and reveals circulating hybrid cells that correlate with stage and survival. Science Advances, Sept 12;4(9).
Xue Q and Roh-Johnson M (2019). Sharing is Caring. Developmental Cell. May 6;49(3).
- Competition between TIAM1 and Membranes Balances Endophilin A3 Activity in Cancer Metastasis. Poudel KR, Roh-Johnson M, Su A, Ho T, Mathsyaraja H, Anderson S, Grady WM, Moens CB, Conacci-Sorrell M, Eisenman RN, Bai J. Developmental Cell. 2018. Jun 18;45(6):738-752. PMID: 29920278.
- Macrophage-dependent cytoplasmic transfer drives melanoma invasion in vivo. Roh-Johnson M, Shah AN, Stonick JA, Poudel KR, di Martino J, Hernandez RE, Gast CE, Zarour LR, Antoku S, Bravo-Cordero JJ, Wong MH, Condeelis J, Moens CB. Developmental Cell. 2017. Dec 4;43(5):549-562. PMID: 29207258
- Macrophage-dependent tumor cell transendothelial migration is mediated by Notch1/MenaINV-initiated invadopodium formation. Pignatelli J, Bravo-Cordero JJ, Roh-Johnson M, Gandhi SJ, Wang Y, Chen X, Eddy RJ, Xue A, Singer RH, Hodgson L, Oktay MH, Condeelis JS. Sci Rep. 2016. Nov 30;6:37874. PMID: 27901093
- MYC-nick promotes cell migration by inducing fascin expression and Cdc42 activation. Anderson S, Poudel KR, Roh-Johnson M, Brabletz T, Yu M, Borenstein-Auerbach N, Grady WN, Bai J, Moens CB, Eisenman RN, Conacci-Sorrell M. PNAS. 2016. Sep 13;113(37):E5481-90. PMID: 27566402
- Macrophage contact induces RhoA GTPase signaling to trigger tumor cell intravasation. Roh-Johnson M, Bravo-Cordero JJ, Pastialou A, Sharma VP, Liu H, Hodgson L, Condeelis J. Oncogene. 2014. Aug 14;33(33):4203-12. PMID: 2405696
- Autocrine HBEGF expression promotes breast cancer intravasation, metastasis and macrophage- independent invasion in vivo. Zhou ZN, Sharma VP, Beaty BT, Roh-Johnson M, Van Rooijen N, Kenny PA, Wiley HS, Condeelis J, Segall JE. Oncogene. 2014. Jul 17;33(29):3784-93. PMID: 24013225
- Spatial regulation of RhoC activity defines protrusion formation in migrating cells. Bravo-Cordero JJ, Sharma VP, Roh-Johnson M, Chen X, Eddy R, Condeelis J. and Hodgson L. J. Cell Sci. 2013. Aug 1;126(Pt 15):3356-69. PMID: 23704350
- Triggering a cell shape change by exploiting pre-existing actomyosin contractions. Roh-Johnson M*, Shemer G*, Higgins C., McClellan J, Werts AD, Tulu US, Gao L, Betzig E, Kiehart DP, and Goldstein B. *equal contributing authors. Science. 2012. Mar 9;335(6073):1232-5. PMID: 22323741
- Dynamic localization of C. elegans TPR-GoLoco proteins mediates mitotic spindle orientation by extrinsic signaling. Werts AD, Roh-Johnson M, and Goldstein B. Development. 2011. Oct;138(20):4411-22. PMID: 21903670
- Apical constriction: A cell shape change that can drive morphogenesis. Sawyer JM, Harrell JR, Shemer G, Sullivan-Brown J, Roh-Johnson M, and Goldstein B. Dev Bio. 2010. May 1;341(1):5-19. Review. PMID: 19751720
- in vivo roles for Arp2/3 in cortical actin organization during C. elegans gastrulation. . Roh-Johnson M and Goldstein B. J. Cell Sci. 2009. Nov 1;122(Pt 21):3983-93. PMID: 19889970
- Roles for Actin Dynamics in Cell Movements During Development. Roh-Johnson M, Sullivan-Brown J, and Goldstein B. Chapter in Actin-Based Motility: Cellular, Molecular and Physical Aspects, ed. M.-F. Carlier, Springer. Book Chapter.
- Wnt signaling during C. elegans embryonic development. Marston DJ, Roh M, Mikels A, Russe N, and Goldstein B. Methods Mol Biol. 2008;469:103-11. PMID: 19109706